Vice President, Development
The Vice President (VP) will be responsible primarily for the planning and construction of the company’s urban development investments. The VP will be responsible for managing construction projects and project construction teams, and assisting with due diligence and project management of future projects. This will include management of the projects and teams throughout the lifecycle from conceptual design through construction and turnover to operations.
RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Fully responsible for all aspects of project design, budget, schedule and execution.
- Interface internally to obtain input on major decisions regarding development projects.
- Coordinate and supervise day-to-day execution throughout project lifecycle, which includes:
- project scheduling, obtaining approvals,
- hiring, contracting and supervising contractors and consultants,
- reviewing and providing input for specifications,
- project budgeting and forecasting,
- change order management,
- ensuring projects meet highest quality control and schedules
- project punchlist corrections, turnover to homeowner's association or operations
- Select, oversee and manage construction teams, including architect, engineer, builder, etc.
- Manage RFP process or vendor selection process for design consultants and other professional service providers.
- Oversee and monitor design consultants and other professional service providers.
- Participate in the preparation of pre-construction budgets, value engineering options, and schedules for proposed projects.
- Participate in consultant meetings through all development stages.
- Participate in meetings with municipalities, neighborhood groups, design teams, and public hearings throughout the development process.
- Manage and support project entitlement and permitting processes as required.
- Monitor projects under construction to ensure adherence to development policies and procedures, and any audit requirements.
- Anticipate and resolve issues and conflicts that may come up during projects with input from the project team.
- Reviewing construction loan draws and the monthly project schedules to determine if projects are on schedule and within the approved budget.
- Managing and ensuring the smooth transition of the product from construction to operations.
- Prepare, summarize, and provide updated project information and re-forecasted financial metrics on a periodic and ad hoc basis for inclusion in presentations, investor reports, and other materials.
- Be a contributing member of the development team to achieve established project long term and intermediate goals while help creating a culturally thriving and financially successful company.
- Assemble/hire internal team members as needed to bring success of the project.
- Actively develop and support team members to achieve their career goals and objectives.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects.
- Proficient in reading construction plans and determining deficiencies and constructability. Knowledge of building systems, construction processes and pricing.
- Great relationships and reputation within construction and real estate industry.
- Highly intelligent; analytical thinker.
- Proven capability to write well and clearly.
- Strong oral communication skills; articulate.
- Highly organized.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Self-starting personality that can work well with limited direction.
- Suitability to an entrepreneurial culture that places a premium on performance.
- Team player who is attracted to a small, collegial working environment. Unquestioned integrity.
- Advanced Microsoft Office Suite skills; proficient in Excel.
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills. Willingness to travel.
- Experience with local unions and contract negotiations experience preferred.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Back to all positions
- Bachelor's degree in Building Construction Management, Real Estate, Architecture, Civil Engineer or Business Administration required; Graduate degree in Construction Management, Business Administration, Finance or Real Estate preferred.
- 15+ years of directly relevant work experience in construction, real estate and development in the Bay Area (preferred) or other major metropolitan areas.
- Background in urban design and planning, site planning, construction oversight and delivery and overall project management of residential and commercial developments through completion.
- Proven leadership skills that cultivate collaboration among the internal and external team members.
- Demonstrated record of successful project management in complex situations.